Learn To Fly at Flight 101

If you want to learn how to fly, then you have come to the right place! More Metro-Detroit residents have chosen Flight 101 than any other flight school here in Michigan! Hundreds of satisfied customers can’t be wrong! We invite you to come check out our facilities, staff, and aircraft. Our office is open 7 days a week. Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

No matter what your aviation goals, Flight 101 can help you achieve them! We offer flight training from Private Pilot all the way to Commercial Pilot, including Certified Flight Instructor training.


Why choose Flight 101?

We are proud to offer safe, efficient, and cost effective flight training! Our rates are among the lowest you’ll find in Michigan and the entire Midwest! All of our rates are wet, and all-inclusive covering; Gas, Oil, Tax, and Insurance. There are no extra hidden costs or surcharges. Additionally, we have our own in-house maintenance department. This is important because we can better serve our customers by decreased aircraft downtime for repairs resulting in increased aircraft availability and more competitive rates.

There is no better accomplishment then completing your private pilot training, and earning your license. We pledge to devote all of our resources to making sure that you receive the most complete and comprehensive training available. Our professional and experienced flight instructors are committed to providing our students with the tools they need to be a well-trained pilot.









Frequently Asked Questions

How old do I have to be to start training?

  • You can start training at any age; however, you need to be at least 16 years to fly solo and 17 years to obtain your private pilot license.

How do I start?

  • Call to Schedule your first introductory flight lesson, and then a Flight 101 instructor will take you from start to finish!

What documents do I need to have for my first lesson?

  • Birth Certificate, Passport, and or any Government issued ID. Transport Security Administration (TSA) requires flight schools to verify citizenship of every student beginning flight training for recreational pilot, sport pilot, private pilot certificate, multiengine rating, commercial certificate, and instrument rating. (This is not applicable for recurrent training.) Non U.S. Citizens will need to complete a background check with TSA, ask us for more details and visit the TSA alien flight school student applicant website.

How long will it take me to get my Private Pilot License?

  • The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires a minimum of 40 hours; however, the national average is significantly higher. Completion of the program focuses more on complete knowledge of the FAA rules and regulations and being able to consistently fly the aircraft safely.

When do classes start?

  • Training is one on one, there is no classroom group lecture atmosphere. You can start at anytime, Any day of the month, and schedule 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm!

What test(s) do I need to complete to get my private pilot license?

  • The first test is a computerized multiple-choice exam called the Private Pilot Knowledge Test- It can be taken anytime throughout your training. Then, upon completion of your training here at Flight 101, you will take a Practical Exam (checkride) with an FAA examiner, he/she will test you on your aeronautical knowledge as well as your flying skills. You will have your private pilot license after satisfactory completion of the checkride.

When I get my private pilot license what can I do with it?

  • The sky is the limit! The Private Pilot certificate enables you to fly for fun and pleasure! You are able to rent our aircrafts and fly locally, fly a long cross country to another state, or just practice landings for a few hours on the weekend… The choice is yours!

What do I need to do to get paid for flying?

  • In order to fly for compensation or hire, you will need to obtain a commercial license. This can be done in either a single engine aircraft and/or a multi-engine aircraft.

How many hours do I need to obtain a commercial license?

  • Minimum of 250 hours (100 hours as pilot in command of which 50 of the 100 hours is to be cross country flight time)

What do I need to do to stay current once I have my pilot license?

  • Obtain at least a third class medical certificate, a biannual flight review with a FAA Certified Flight Instructor every two years. If flying with passengers, have logged 3 landings within the last 90 days. In addition, For insurance purposes here at Flight 101 if you have not flown in our aircrafts in the preceding 6 months, you must receive a pilot proficiency check with a Flight 101 instructor with a minimum one hour flight time and (3) takeoffs and landings to a full stop.

How do I get more information on flying?